Here are the details of a song writing competition in memory of our good friend Dick Brice – all songwriters please copy!
• New songs, unpublished, any genre
• To be sung acoustically, by an individual or a group
• Any subject, but for the first year, themes to choose from in memory of Dick:
o Forest of Dean
• Basis for shortlisting:
o Use of English
o Telling a story / carrying a message / sharing an emotion or a memory
• By Friday 26th April inclusive
• Emailed to email@example.com , or delivered by hand to Mitcheldean Community Library (marked Dick Brice Songwriting)
• Sound or video recording of a performance.
• Printed copy of the lyrics with the songwriter’s / co-writers’ contact details.
• Shortlisting by panel w/c Monday 29th April.
• Live performances in Mitcheldean Thursday 16th May
• Winner announced Friday 24th May.
• Winner’s details by the end of May to the Mitcheldean Festival programme
• Festival performance on Friday 19th July in Mitcheldean parish church when the Dick Brice Cup is presented.
The dog show at the Fete on Saturday 15th will take place between 2 and 3 pm (please see the different classes below). There will be a registration desk on the day – for any advance queries please call Penny James on 01594 544144 or 07755 502678.
This year’s Young Poets & Storytellers Competition 2023 is now launched with the suggested theme “Change” – something we are all very familiar with these days! The deadline for entries is Friday 26th May, and we look forward to receiving and reading them.
Please send your entries typed in Word or neatly handwritten with your name, age on 31.8.23, and school or family contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Young Poets & Storytellers Competition, Mitcheldean Library, High St, Mitcheldean GL17 0HN.
If you would like to perform at one of our 2023 Festival concerts, please return the APPLICATION FORM by February 19th to the address given. You can also collect a form at Mitcheldean Folk Club on Thursday 12th January or Thursday 9th February, meeting from 8pm in the White Horse.
There will be concerts in the church on the evenings of Friday 14th July and Saturday 15th, with a pre-Festival concert in the Lamb Inn on Saturday 17th June. There will also be music and song sessions over the weekend, with Morris and other dance sides very welcome!
Ideas are already beginning to flow for 2023, including an extended tug-of-war competition! The broad structure of the Festival remains the same, including singing in the church on Friday 14th July and Saturday 15th and comedy at the Jolter Press on Sunday 16th. Invitations to concert performers and details of the young poets and storytellers competition will be published after Christmas, meanwhile you are very welcome to come to the Lamb from 7pm on Wednesday 11th January to find out more – Cheers!
We’re already beginning to plan for the next annual party, 14th – 16th July 2023!
If you would like to volunteer some of your time to help make the weekend even more of a success, please contact us on email@example.com, or come along to the Lamb Inn from 7pm on Wednesday 16th November 2022 – all welcome!